Nagalapuram the temple town is built at the time of Srikrishna Deva Raya (of Vijayanagara Empire) regime in memory of his mother Nagala Devi. Hence, it became Sri Nagalapuram. Before the change of its name to Nagalapuram, this village was known as Harigandapuram. Nagala Devi was a family member of Gajula balijas. The Nayak Rulers of Madurai, Tanjavur, Chenji, Khandi were all are inter-relatives and the relatives of Nagala Devi and they all from Chandra Vamsa Gajula balija Kshatriyas from Chandragiri Rajya as per the Madura Nayaks Sri Vamsa Prakasika, SriMukhams of nayaka vamsa Raja Gurus, Kaifiyaths, Madras Presidency Government Records.
Temple reflects the vijayanagara architectural style Vedanarayana swamy idol facing west. Temple has 4 big gali gopuralu. The sanctum sanctorium has Vedanarayana swamy with his consorts sridevi and Bhoodevi on either side. This is a Matsya Avatar of Lord Vishnu first Avatar, who saved the four vedas from Somakudu and returned to Brahma.
Temple brahmostavam comes on Shukla Dwadasi, Trayodasi and Chaturdasi of Phalguni masam (Telugu calendar). Temple architecture is done in such a way that during these three days, the sun rays fall on the main deity feet, navel and fore head between 1800 hrs and 1815 hrs respectively called as ” Suriya Pooja”. This remarks the start of Summer season as per the holy inscriptions available in the temple.
- Temple Management
The temple is under Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams. There is daily TTD bus service from Tirumala to Nagalapuram and other temples.And Nagalapuram Youth Association helps in management of crowds during festive seasons and they also play a vital role in organising many activities.