I. Answer the following:-
1. Why are safety measures essential in using roads?
a. With increasing population and the use of automobiles, the volume of traffic in towns and cities in the country has been rapidly increasing.
b. The growing traffic can be managed better only when the road users understand and follow the prescribed rules.
c. Traffic management largely depends on traffic education.
d. All road users shall follow the traffic rules, regulations and general discipline in the interest of his/her own safety.
e. Hundreds of lives are lost everyday on the roads of India’s towns and cities
f. A well disciplined road use is the only way to avoid fatal accidents.
g. Well planned safety measures such as road dividers and their well regulated use by all road users are therefore very essential.
2. Mention safety measures for riding bicycles.
Ans. A Cyclist should observe the following rules and regulations.
1. Do not drive your bicycle recklessly and you may lose control. Maintain controllable speed.
2. You should not ride on the wrong side of the road or cross the road abruptly. Do not ride or wheel your bicycle on the foot path.
3. Do not stop suddenly, without signaling. Better move towards the left margin while slowing down but signal your intention to the traffic behind.
4. Make sure that other people on the road can see you, especially in the dark night. You should have light in the front and a red reflector in the back.
5. Road junctions are dangerous, more so in our towns with narrow alleys and blind turns.
6. Any sort of hurry on your part either at the junction or turnings or in a closely moving stream of traffic just to save a few seconds of time, is dangerous and an accident is inevitable.
7. Pedestrians has the right of way. Slow down at the Zebra crossing. Better stop if you see people crossing the road.
8. Never try to overtake a vehicle in the process of taking a turn. Never ride by the side of a fast moving vehicle.
9. If you have to overtake do it only from the right but only if the driver in the front has permitted or signaled you to overtake.
10. Never try to compete with or over take power driven vehicles. It is dangerous. Allow other fast moving vehicles to overtake you. Never hold to another vehicles.
11. Be careful of other vehicles on the road, such as rickshaws, auto-rickshaws, cars, trucks, buses, etc. So keep a safe distance from them.
12. Do not enter the street where you see ‘No Entry’ sign.
13. Always obey the manual or the light signals wherever you notice them. Any
violation is against law and dangerous to your life.
14. Ensure that your cycle brakes and are always in good condition.
8. What are the precautions necessary for observance by those that ride motor-cycles and scooters?
Ans. The following rules and precautions while riding motorcycles and scooters:-
1. A two-wheeled vehicle is prone to lose its balance if sudden brakes are applied at fast speed. Apply brake only when upright and in sufficient time. While applying brakes on turning you must prefer the low gear.
2. Exercise restraint. Hold back where necessary. Keep distance from the vehicle ahead.
3. Ride with deliberation, if necessary. Overtake as early as possible but after proper signalling and after assuring yourself that there is no vehicle approaching from the opposite direction.
4. Speed intelligently and ride fast only in the right places.
5. Use the right gear according to the speed at the proper time and in the particular situation.
6. Use the horn thoughtfully, give proper signal and use your lights. Give good and clear signals so that other road users feel at ease. Never take a turn before signaling and taking a look behind or observing in the rear view mirror.
7. Pillion riders should not distract the driver by idle talk or cause imbalance to the vehicle.
8. Be courteous to other road users and acknowledge other courtesies extended by them.
9. Helmet is a must for all motor cyclists and scooterists.
10. Never take a close slanting turn on the bends and turnings. You may slip or lose balance.
11. You should be extremely careful on wet and slippery roads.
II. Fill in the blanks:-
1. Traffic management largely depends on Traffic education.
2. Well planned safety measures help us to avoid Fatal Accident.
3. Do not enter the street where you see “No entry” sign.
4. The riders of power driven vehicles have to possess license and helmet.
5. Helmet and license is a must for all motor cyclists and scooterists
6. Slowdown your vehicle at the Zebra crossing.
7. Without driving license the riders off motor vehicles and liable for prosecution and punishment.
8. Proper observance of traffic rules protects your lives as well as others.