Chandragiri, is a suburb of Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, India. Krishnadeva Raya of Vijayanagara empire was brought up at Chandragiri Fort, before his coronation at Penukonda
Main article: Chandragiri fort, Andhra Pradesh
Chandragiri is famous for the historical fort, built in the 11th century, and the Raja Mahal (Palace) within it. Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadava Naidus for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagarrulers in 1367. It came into prominence during Saluva Narasimha Rayalu. Chandragiri was the 4th capital of Vijayanagar Empire. Rayas shifted their capital to here when Golconda sultans attacked Penukonda. In 1646, the fort was annexed to the Golkonda territory and subsequently came under Mysore rule. It went into oblivion from 1792 onward. The fort encircles eight ruined temples of saivite and vaishnavite pantheons, Raja Mahal, Rani Mahal and other ruined structures.
The Raja Mahal Palace is now an archeological museum. The palace is an example of Indo-Sarcen architecture of Vijayanagar period. The crowning towers represents the Hindu architectural elements. The palace was constructed using stone, brick, lime mortar and devoid of timber