Chandragiri Fort is famous for the historical fort, built in the 11th century, and the Raja Mahal (Palace) is located in Chandragiri, Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh, India.
Chandragiri was under the rule of YadavaNaidus for about three centuries and came into control of Vijayanagar rulers in 1367. It came into prominence during SaluvaNarasimhaRayalu. Chandragiri was the 4th capital of VijayanagarEmpire,Rayas shifted their capital to here when Golconda sultans attacked Penukonda. In 1646 the fort was annexed to theGolkonda territory and subsequently came under Kingdom of Mysore rule. It went into oblivion from 1792 onward.
The Raja Mahal Palace is now an archeological museum. The palace is an example of Indo-Sarcen architecture of Vijayanagar period. The crowning towers represents the Hindu architectural elements. The palace was constructed using stone, brick, lime mortar and devoid of timber.
The main building known as the ‘Raj (Chandragiri) Mahal’ is majestic in appearance and with the modern colorful lighting system introduced, the Mahal is a delight to the eyes and gives a nice view to the eyes during night.There is a sound and light show conducted here Sound & light ,transport
Built in 1000 AD in the form of fortifications with bastions and a steep moat, Chandragiri was under the rule of Yadavarayas for about three centuries and came into the control of Vijayanagara rulers in 1367. It rose into prominence in 1568 AD and remained as seat of power for the later Vijayanagara kings under whose reign the fortified area was further extended and some of the magnificent buildings and temples were constructed. Some of the important kavyas of Vijayanagara period are said to be composed here. In 1646 the fort was annexed into the Golkonda territory, subsequently came under Mysore rule till 1792 and went into oblivion. Inside the fortification are seen eight ruined temples of saivite and vaishnavite pantheons, Raja mahal, Rani mahal and other ruined structures.
King’s Palace: One of the finest examples of Indo-Saracenic architecture of Vijayanagara period, this imposing three storeyed palace adorned by the crowning towers representing certain Hindu architectural elements, was constructed with stone, brick, lime mortar and is devoid of timber. The central tower that covers durbar hall rises through two storeys. It is said to be the same venue where Sri Rangaraya granted the site of Fort St. George to the British in 1640. The floors are supported by massive pillars while the walls bear fine plaster and stucco decorations.
Queen’s Palace: Similar to the Kings palace in style and method of execution, this edifice with ground floor looking like a stable and first floor containing quarters adorned with ornamental Sikhara has a flat roof. Contrary to the popular belief that this place was meant for the queen or harem, the epigraphical record available from the basement speaks this building being a commander’s quarters.
The archaeological museum consists of the artifacts and weapons used by the people of 16th and 17th century.The statues of Sri Krishnadevaraya and his consort are present at the Durbar Hall of the museum.The statues of the shrines of the Gods and Goddesses, Navagrahas being worshiped by the people of 16th and 17th century are also exhibited. It also has the archaeological remains excavated at Yaganti of Kurnool District, AP.
Monuments: Sun Rise to Sun Set
Museum: 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM
Entrance Fee: 07/- for Indians
100 /- for Foreigners
(Camera is not allowed inside the museum)
Sound and light show is carried out between 07:00 PM and 09:00 PM.
Show language and Timings:
Telugu: 07:00 PM
English: 08:00 PM
Please note that in winters the show starts 30 minutes before.
How to Reach
This place can be accessed by all the available means of transportations.
By air accessing of this fort is also possible as Tirupati is the nearest airport. From aerodrome, a maximum of 22 kilometers way is left to reach this fort. Road transport is easily available.
Tirupati is also well connected with all major trains across the country. Tirupati is also the nearest railway station and the fort is located at 17 kilometers from the station.
A sound and dense road network is available in Tirupati. National Highway and state highways both cross the Tirupati. Besides it, various link roads within the city and also in outskirts of Tirupati are in good condition. Private tour operators and APSRTC also run their bus services with full amenities to this place on reasonable charges.
Regional Tourist Information Bureau,
Tourist Information officer,
Near TTD 3rd Choultry, Tirupati
Phone : 0877-2243306