Agastyesvara temple, Yatavakili (Irugisvaram-udaiya-Mahadevar)

The Chandramoulisvara temple at Yatavakili is in Punganur area. An inscription of Rajendra I (A.D.1033-34) engraved on the base of the temple refers to its construction by a Vellala. Another inscription of Rajaraja III (A.D.1244-45) engraved on the walls of the temple refers to the renovation of this temple by Selvaganga, a descendant of Kumbhan-gamundan who formerly constructed the temple.

The east oriented temple on plan consists of a squar garbhagriha, an antarala and a broad mandapa. The central shrine has an ekatalaVimana built of stone upto the sikhara. The first tala rises on the prati of the adhistana. The adhisthana is of padabandha type and comprises the mouldings of upana, jagati, tripattakumuda, kantha with galapadas, pattika and a prati  at the top upon which the bhittirises. The bhitti of the vimana  has four pilasters including the two cantoning pilasters of the square cross-section. The wall is plain with no devakosthas to house the images. The prastara on the corbels carry the beam equal in width and height as the corbels below. Above this is the vajana, a projecting course of the cornice followed by a valabhi which is decorated with hamsa frieze and bhutaganas showing different dancing poses. The cornice over the valabhi is smooth and flexed with a decorated lower brim. The kapota is embellished by four arched openings projecting out of the cornice showing simha-mukha finials at intervals. The ends of the kudu are left open. Over the kapota runs a vyalavari all round. The corners of the kapota are decorated with a scroll-work. Over the roof cornice is an upward looking slab recalling the petals of lotus, octagonal in shape, upon which are seated four couchant bulls at the four corners. Above the slab in the centre is a square griva having small pilasters on its bhitti surmounted by the uttara and the valabhi. This valabhi is decorated with a vyala frieze on all sides. The square sikhara is quite broad for its height, wide at its lower brim and flattened at its top carrying an adhahpadma and a metal stupi in the centre. It has on the four cardinal points four kudus with pronounced kirthimukhas. The griva has, on the eastern side, Subrahmanya seated on the elephant, on the southern side seated Dakshinamurti, on the west seated Vishnu and on the north seated Brahma.


From the base to the cornice the features present in the antarala and mandapa are the same as in the vimana . These two parts have a flat top. The pillars of the mandapa have the same pattern observed in the case of the pilasters of the vimana . The front wall of the antarala has two niches, one on the either side of the enterance. The two standing dvarapalas flanking the enterance in these two niches are portrayed in different forms particularly in the disposition of the head and the legs. Loose sculptures of Saptamatrikas, Kala-Bhairava and Kartikeya are found in the temple area. All these sculptures seem to be two centuries later than the sculptures of the grivakosthas and the dvarapala images.

An inscription dated A.D.1033-34 refers to the construction of Irugisvaram-udaiya-mahadevar by a Vellala. The name Irugisvara indicates the possibility of the deity being named after Iruga-maharaja (1035-70 A.D.), the Vaidumba king. It is obvious that the Vellala, whose name is given in the other record as Kumbham-gamundan, obviously set up the deity in the name of his local overlord Vaidumba Iruga II and constructed a temple. Hence the temple may be assigned to c.11th century A.D.